Dead Letter Office
Jubilation is a historical site in Teller County, Indiana, located in what is now a portion of Hoosier National Forest. It was a short-lived utopian community founded by Francis Parr, an industrialist and abolitionist, in 1826. Parr envisioned a model community which would inspire a reformed American society, but the settlement struggled from its inception, facing a hard winter and food shortage in its first year and then failing to raise funds to construct a foundry which was to be the community’s chief source of income. The project was abandoned by 1838. In 1890, a revival movement called the New Jubilation Society purchased the land and built a new settlement on the site according to Parr’s initial vision, including a wooden palisade enclosing homes, fields, and gardens, and laid the foundation for Parr’s dream foundry. The foundry met with moderate success and in 1905 was moved into nearby Aragon as Jubilation Steel Works, but once again the utopian settlement struggled and was soon abandoned. The New Jubilation settlement was refurbished and briefly occupied once more in 1968. Three inhabitants remained at the site until finally leaving in 1972, under pressure from the Forest Service.
In 2005, Teller County Historical Society raised funds to help reconstruct the historical palisade around the site and located a small interpretive center inside, along with a Forest Service office and small number of rental cabins. Since the Event, a community of around 150 survivors have occupied the site.