Dead Letter Office
Cochran Air Force Base
Founded in 1941 as a United States Army supply depot and armory, Cochran Air Force base is located 25 miles northwest of Aragon, Indiana. During WWII it was expanded for use as an assembly plant for small aircraft, which function it fulfilled until 1987. It remains a general supply depot and armory for both the Air Force and the National Guard. It was at the time of the Event under development as a auxiliary command center for unmanned aircraft (drones) and training facility for drone pilots.
Following the Event, CAFB was utilized as a regional National Guard command center to combat the zombie incursion. After suffering heavy casualties around the southern Indiana region, all troops were recalled to the Base. Base personnel last received communication from outside the region two months ago, in the form of standing orders to hold the Base against incursion. Although the base had received refugees up to this point, following loss of national communication, local command closed the gates and fortified the area. An unknown number of civilian refugees remain inside the base with Air Force and National Guard personnel, but no one else has been admitted. A sizable encampment has formed outside the borders of the base, comprised of survivors hoping to be allowed access to the fortified camp. The Base includes this community within its regular patrols of the area, but provides no further support. There are rumors of growing unrest within the Base and in this refugee camp.